Wednesday 28 June 2017

Researching Regency England

How Mary Wollstonecraft, an about-to-be-demolished shop and an aircraft inspired a Regency time-slip novel.

by Bradley Bernarde.

I had always wanted to write a novel set in the Regency period, mainly because my admiration for Jane Austen, and her remarkable talent, was combined with an intense interest in the late eighteen and early nineteenth centuries, when women were, very slowly, becoming more prominent, especially in the world of literature.

As early as 1750, Hannah More, Elizabeth Montagu and Elizabeth Carter, were holding literary discussions, while later in the century Mary Wollstonecraft’s A Vindication of the Rights of Women, championed educational equality for women. I have always believed that these efforts, combined with those of other equally talented women, would have helped us achieve advancement, had the Prince Regent’s daughter, Princess Charlotte succeeded to the throne, rather than his niece Victoria. Many of the books written by these determined women, often under pseudonyms, can now be viewed at Chawton House, which has an expansive library of Women’s Fiction up to 1830. The house is, of course, situated not far from the Jane Austen Museum, in the village of Chawton, a building I have visited many times.

I had a vague idea for my plot, and the stirrings of inspiration intensified during an afternoon stroll near Gray’s Inn, when I encountered some workmen widening part of a side road. Seeing my interest, one of the men explained that they had dismantled a very narrow passage running alongside, in order to make a wider thoroughfare. Any shops in the street had fallen into disrepair, and been pulled down, but one of them had, apparently, been very old because, my informant told me, it had had bow windows. As I watched the men working, I imagined the small, squat shop, its bulging windows full of goods unrecognisable to the modern eye, and realised that my story was beginning to take shape.

When, at last, I continued walking, I found myself in Gray’s Inn, just as the occupants of the various offices were leaving at the end of a working day. There were a number of men and women, all carrying the obligatory laptop, and I noticed one girl in particular, as she appeared younger than the others. Although immaculately dressed and groomed, there was a certain element of vulnerability about her; especially when, instead of joining her companions, she appeared to excuse herself and hurry away. With that strange perception that sometimes hit fiction novelists mentally, I knew I had found my heroine but, despite her vulnerability, she still exuded too much self-possession for a Regency girl.

Jane Austen's final dwelling in Winchester
So it took some time for the plot to reach maturity, and in the hope of acquiring more inspiration, I went to Winchester Cathedral and read the words on Jane Austen’s tomb; then I wandered down the street and past the house reputed to have been her last residence. As I strolled an airplane flew overhead, and for a moment I was mentally suspended between the past and the present, and knew exactly how I was going to deal with my heroine. She was going to be a secret (because being a solicitor such an obsession would have been farcical) admirer of Austen, and have a longing to return to her times in order to meet her heroine. Her journey back into the past would be accomplished with the help of whoever had owned the shop with bow windows, and she would have to learn how to adapt her twenty-first century persona in an early nineteenth century world. This meant I would not be writing a straightforward historical novel, but a fantasy, which would have to sound as logical as possible.

Having decided on the plot I launched into the research, which was fascinating. Guildhall Library displayed numerous charts and maps of Regency London; not to mention numerous copies of The Times circa 1816, while Chelsea Library’s many books on period costumes were invaluable in dressing my characters. I enjoyed writing the book immensely because, in a vicarious sort of way, I joined my heroine in her travels and experiences and enjoyed them as much, I hope, as she did.


Bradley Bernade is a member of The Society of Authors, the SWWJ and the Emile Zola Society. Her novel,
Twelve Days to Dream, will be released later this year, published by SCRIPTORA.

17 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me. Then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com website: Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/

      Delete
  2. Similar to this post and research journey of the writer finding about Regency era, in the same way doing a research paper is a journey too. When I was doing mine, my journey was horrible. That’s why I started a hunt for best research paper writing service UK based who can help me out with my research paper.
    * They have proficient writers who wrote my assignment
    * They have research analyst who carried out the research of my paper
    * They have professional editors and proof readers to make the assignment totally perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Miss Lovato, I couldn't agree more with what you are saying. For me assignments don't get over my head, they get into my head, wrecking every nerve or neurons of my brain because of the amount of stress I receive from the assignment overload I get on a weekly basis. I could not take this more of my tension, hence I found a cure to this conundrum I was facing, which was the help I obtained from the Assignment Help Services in Jeddah, because I needed a break from this academic torment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a big time fan of Jane Austen, and I would read all her books, and I mean all! I still do not know why I took economics as a subject, like I had to take Macroeconomics Assignment Help for crying out loud! Now I may as well now drop economics and take English literature as a subject because I see a scope in there for success because of my passion in the subject matter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it here. Keep sharing your good vibes. I love them Are you also searching for assignment help UK? we are the best solution for you. We are best known for delivering cheap assignments to students without having to break the bank

    ReplyDelete
  6. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. 

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have got done a good job along with your information that creates our work simple since you're giving such great data. Keep sharing this kind of information with us. Tabe applied math practice

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always been a fan of Queen Victoria because she was an exception in the history of women. I would definitely like to read about the history that gave birth to such an amazing queen. I have already read multiple samples of them from a page of essay assignment help online. Oh, I must also compliment your confidence in trying to raise for equal rights of women. Nowadays, people made this society a male-dominated society without knowing these great women leaders who held Britain’s throne for 71 years!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always like to read such kind of blogs but only when someone do my assignment for me because despite that I never had time because of the load of work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As between the past and the present, and knew exactly how I was going I strolled an airplane flew overhead, and for a moment I was mentally suspended dissertation writing services available for a complete dissertation including all chapters from introduction,
    Dissertation Writing Services

    ReplyDelete
  11. 789betting your article is very good I've read it and it's been helpful. Thanks for sharing good https://www.789-betting.net/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd like to express my gratitude to Dr. Emu for rescuing my marriage. My wife mistreated me and left me at home for over three months, which made me sick and confused during i did law dissertation editing and proofreading services UK. Then I informed a buddy about how my wife's attitude toward me had altered. Then she urged me to call Dr. Emu, who would assist me in reuniting with my wife and transforming her into a decent woman. I was sceptical at first, but I gave it a shot. My wife returned home for forgiveness after Dr Emu placed a spell of return of love on her, and we are now happy again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You provide very nice music according to your audience's choice, and they are satisfied and enjoy your music a lot. Now, they are waiting for your new buy smart home online album and I hope, you will provide it very soon.buy electronic gadgets online

    ReplyDelete
  14. Clopal is a big name in cheap remote control devices price in Pakistan where you have got all the elegant items.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I spoken to Neil who sorted out my problem straight away. Very fast & gave me options to help with my order belle lingerie discount code Great customer service.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Having not had an issue in quite a while, I've figured out how to completely rely upon them accounting services online. Investigate the site also. I would recommend that you find a report on Keto Advanced Fat Burner.

    ReplyDelete