Sunday 10 January 2010

Writers Can Make a Difference: On Winning the Telegraph Travel Prize

In early December 2008, I got a call from a friend. “Hey,” she said. You travel a lot. And you write a lot. Why don’t you give the Telegraph competition a go?”

“When’s the closing date?” I said.

“Day after tomorrow,” she said. “But it’s only five hundred words. Go for it.”

As it happened, I’d already written a short piece, about a small beach cafĂ© I visited in Rodney Bay, St. Lucia, earlier in the year. I hadn’t done anything with it, so I dug it out. It weighed in at just over a thousand. Why not, I thought, spent a few hours slashing and burning, and emailed a five hundred word version, entitled Flying Fish with Anne-Marie, off to the Telegraph with an hour to spare. Then I forgot about it. Two weeks later I got a phone call from Charles Starmer-Smith, travel editor of the Daily Telegraph. “You’ve won" ...


Read the full article on how the Telegraph competition prize winner, Jo Reed, made a huge difference to a small cafe in St. Lucia in the February Issue of Words with JAM.

2 comments:



  1. I am happy to find this post very useful for me, as it contains lot of information. I always prefer to read the quality content and this thing I found in you post. Thanks for sharing.Book cheap International flight online

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oddly enough, I also travel a lot and shoot a lot of videos about different countries. The editor from Movavi Video Converter helps me to edit all of them. It provides speed and quality effects, so try it.

    ReplyDelete