Thursday 18 March 2010

Blogs Part 2 - Ever feel like you’re talking to yourself?

OK, now you have a wonderful blog. It looks amazing. What you’ve written is groundbreaking at the very least, and you are managing to produce content of a similarly high standard at least twice a week.

But still you haven’t had “the knock”. In fact, you haven’t had a comment. Well, aside from that one your best mate Carol sent you saying “oh how lovely” because you kept telling her about it over spritzers. It’s pretty dispiriting. We’re often led to believe that having a blog is the key to success, but it isn’t. It’s the first step of what may well be a road to nowhere. “If you build it, they will come” may work for baseball pitches, but sadly it doesn’t for blogs. On the other hand, there are things you can do to get people reading. And don’t forget to keep up producing great content!

It’s time to think about the second stage of blogging ...

Read the full article by Dan Holloway in the next issue of Words with JAM. For Blogs Part 1, subscribe now and receive the last issue directly to your inbox, absolutely FREE ...

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read the rest as this so applies to my blog site. Lots of hits...no comments

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob, thank you so much for saying that - immensely kind of you. Jenny, thank you - I am a firm believer as a writer in building a loyal base of fans who will stay with me through my writing life (which I hope, at 38, has 3 or 4 decades in it yet). I have no desire to sell a huge amount of copies of my work to people who've bought it "on spec" only to feel resentful because it's not for them, and never come back. I am more than happy to build a following slowly of people who look forward to my next book - it feels more solid somehow. I think that's spilled over into my approach to blogging.
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the problem with my blog is that very few people want to read about the escapades of yet another dysfunctional family. But to hell with it, I am enjoying myself, even if I'm not doing my writing any favours. I agree with your sentiments Dan; sounds like a plan to me.

    ReplyDelete