Saturday 25 May 2013

Ask the Agent - Andrew Lownie answers a reader’s question

Q: I have been offered a two book deal with Harlequin's Carina Digital Imprint, should I still continue on my quest to find an agent?

thanks
Helen Phifer
Barrow-in-Furness

Contemporary Crime/Paranormal writer, proud member of the RNA new writer's scheme. Writing Murder, Chills and Thrills.

A: I think it is still worth finding an agent and you’ll certainly be a more attractive prospect now. A good agent : may improve terms and protect your interests over, for example, reversion clauses; will certainly be there to give editorial advice alongside the editor and other advice about publication; may be able to exploit other rights not sold to Harlequin . Remember an agent should be for life and not just for a particular book.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Andrew for taking the time to answer my question, it is something that has been niggling at me for a while now. I will try again and I love that last line it made me smile :)

    Helen.

    ReplyDelete