Thursday 30 July 2015

60 Seconds with Marius Gabriel

Marius says 'I am a writer by profession. I love books, music, food and all other forms of human culture. I love serious things and silly things. Almost nothing in life is uninteresting to me. I like to share what delights me, and that is why I write.'

Tell us a little about you and your writing.

I have been writing fiction since I was a child and will probably keep writing till I die. I write about what I’m interested in, not necessarily about my experiences – it’s a way for me to explore my own imagination.

You’ve written across many genres from romance to historical fiction, why such a diverse range? 

I started writing romance novels to pay my way through postgraduate studies, but soon realized that it was going to be my career, anyway. I wrote around 35 short romances before turning to longer fiction. I loved writing romance, it was like being constantly drunk on champagne.

Did you enjoy writing for Mills & Boon? What do you think male authors add to romance novels?

I think male authors are surprisingly adept at romance, so long as they are able to understand the ups and downs of love, and see both a woman’s and a man’s point of view. Oh, and I enjoyed it very much!

Tell us about your latest novel, Wish Me Luck as You Wave Me Goodbye. (see our review here …)

It’s a novel about three sisters who experience World War II each in her own way. I fell in love with all three of my characters, and have just finished a sequel, which will come out early in 2016!

What’s the best thing about being a writer?

What it does to your mind.

And the worst?

What it does to your mind.

Where do you write?

I am at my desk, in my study, by 8am each day, and write until around 6pm. Fuelled by coffee and loud music.

You’ve lived in some wonderful locations, do you use any of them as settings in your novels? Is location important in your writing? 

Yes, I’ve drawn heavily from my locations, and the people who inhabit them. I feel one learns something about history from individual memories that can’t be found in history books. I’m a great listener to old people.

Which 3 books would you take to a desert island?

If Shakespeare and the King James Bible are already there, I would take Tolstoy’s “War And Peace”, Joyce’s “Ulysses,” and Yeats’ Poems.

What are your future writing plans?

I am debating writing a third novel in the “Wish Me Luck” series, and making it a trilogy, going up to the end of the war!


LINKS

www.mariusgabriel.info

https://www.facebook.com/scribbler4bread

twitter: @scribbler4bread







No comments:

Post a Comment