Wednesday 22 November 2017

How Reading Can Help You Become A Successful Teen Fiction Writer by Jane Sandwood



Children’s literature and young adult fiction books are enjoying massive popularity nowadays. Apart from JK Rowling, young adult and children’s literature authors and their publishers are raking in the profits as it was reported that John Green’s “The Fault in Our Stars” earned Penguin UK more than £4 million, and in 2014, the Children’s Category earned £336.5m. And it’s not only secondary schoolers who are fans of these books—a study revealed that 55% of YA fiction readers are adults. If you’ve got an idea for a great YA novel or series, you may want to dive into the worlds created by Rowling, Green, Suzanne Collins, Rick Riordan, and others to prepare to write your novel. Having a good read can benefit your writing in so many ways, and here’s how reading can help you become a successful teen and YA fiction writer.

It helps you get in touch with your teen self

There’s a reason why so many adults love reading YA books—it reminds older readers of their childhoods and teen years, making these books the perfect escape from their busy adult lives. One of the benefits associated with reading YA is that it helps you get in touch with your teen self, which can be incredibly useful once you begin to write your novel. The more you read, the more you develop an authentic teenage or young adult voice. This makes your book more convincing and relatable to readers who are fans of this genre.

You get to immerse yourself in popular teen culture

Reading YA books set at the present time allows you to immerse yourself in popular teen culture, especially if you need to get caught up in current British teen slang or Millennial slang. If your novel is set in the 2000s, you may need to know how to use “bae” in a sentence, why something or someone is perceived as “goals,” why being “thirsty” has nothing to do with needing a beverage and why “throwing shade” is considered to be rude behaviour. Moreover, reading helps you learn about the latest in teen culture, and a little pop culture reference in your novel can go a long way.

You get to take a productive break

If you’re experiencing a raging case of writer’s block, you might as well re-read “The Hunger Games,” “The Giver,” “The Chronicles of Narnia,” or your favourite YA book of the moment. Reading allows you to take a productive break and manage stress while you’re writing your novel, and taking the time to read may give you some ideas on how your story should continue.

When choosing YA books to read or re-read, pick ones that you think you’ll learn from and enjoy. Remember that everything that you learned while reading will be somehow reflected in the way you write. Pick up a YA or teen fiction book today and see how it can benefit your writing.

10 comments:

  1. original article here are the details of How hair follice drug test work

    ReplyDelete

  2. Hello mate,
    I am saw your post , I found its very knowledgeable and more informative. I am very impressed. Thanks for sharing this post. Keep posting more post.

    Also read: VPS trial without credit card

    ReplyDelete

  3. Hi mate,

    I am recently followed your post. It was very unique compare to others. I am very impressed to saw your post. I am got many information. My knowledge was grown up to read your post. Thank you for sharing your knowledge here. keep doing many post .

    also read : Bone Conduction Glasses

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello mate,
    I recently joined your post , I found its very informative and knowledgeable . I am very impressed. Thanks for sharing this post. Keep posting more post.
    Also read: best hotels in sheffield city centre

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me. Then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com website: Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. this information is creative and knowledgeable. i am so impressed. Thanks for sharing and also check out Kinemaster Lite

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where can I play Payday 2? You can find Payday 2 on PS4, PS5, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox X/S, PC, Switch, and Linux. Unfortunately, it is not cross-platform. So if you and your friend use different hardware to play Payday 2, you won't be able to play together

    Also read: is payday 2 cross platform?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mobile Number Operator Tracker is the best app best mobile number tracker with google map
    to track your friends in real-time or even get the operator and network details of any mobile number located worldwide including the entire USA, Canada, Europe, Asia etc. Mobile Number Operator Tracker is the perfect answer to all your phone number related queries.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, that's true! Reading can make you successful. When I wanted to become a mobile app developer I was reading https://madappgang.com/blog/backend-development-with-golang/ post about backend and other technologies. That helped me and now I have 4 years of experience.

    ReplyDelete