Wednesday 29 August 2018

Creative Kicks - Week 9 - Using Narrative Twists and Turns

By Chris Curran
Images by JD Lewis

Surprise! Surprise!


The Oxford English Dictionary describes a plot twist as an unexpected development in a book, film, television programme. Collins defines it as a decisive change of direction, aim, meaning or character. In a novel, play etc. an unexpected event, revelation etc.

Plot twists are often associated with crime fiction and any list of books featuring great plot twists will probably include the likes of Gone Girl, Before I Go To Sleep, Shutter Island, Rebecca and at least one Agatha Christie.


These lists invariably mention books that introduce a huge surprise, often at the climax of the story, which overturns everything the reader has believed so far. But while such twists can be incredibly powerful – think of We Need to Talk About Kevin and Fight Club – they are not the only game in town.

Plotting a book involves building a narrative; showing readers what happens in a particular scenario and finding ways to keep them wondering what’s going to happen next. Twists and turns are a vital element in retaining that involvement. I’m not talking now about the kind of mega-twists that have readers gasping: that is amazing, but about unexpected developments and revelations which, as well as helping to make the book lively and give it that crucial page-turning factor, can help reveal its true meaning, highlight its themes and illuminate what has gone before.

Coleridge regarded the plot of Fielding’s Tom Jones, as perfectly planned and it is chockfull of twists and turns. And one of the reasons Pride and Prejudice is Jane Austen’s most popular novel (apart from the allure of Darcy) has to be because it contains so many surprises and reversals.



So how can we use twists and turns most effectively in our writing?

Above all by ensuring they are believable in the context of this particular story world and its characters. By the time we learn Maxim De Winter hated rather than loved Rebecca, as the narrator believes, we know she aroused great passions, ridiculed men, probably had a lover and that Maxim can’t bear to talk about her. In Pride and Prejudice Darcy’s apparently unfair and snobbish rejection of Wickham makes perfect sense when we, and Lizzie, learn what Wickham has done, not only to Lydia, but to Darcy’s own sister.

It’s vital not to make readers feel cheated by a twist. There’s nothing more annoying or unsatisfactory than a shock event that comes out of nowhere: a deus ex machina. This is where a big twist can fail spectacularly as readers are left shaking their heads in disbelief. If you’ve firmly established a character, especially a narrator, as a model of honesty it isn’t fair to reveal they are actually a liar unless you have dropped sufficient hints that these impressions may be false. And if a murderer is to use an unusual method of killing or disposing of a body it’s important to set up in advance the fact that they have the expertise or the wherewithal required.

This is where foreshadowing comes in. Planting subtle clues that hint at the twist ensures that readers won’t shake their heads and think: where on earth did that come from? instead of the response you want which is: ah, I see now, but why didn’t I see it before?
Foreshadowing can take many forms. Passing references to an object, a pet, a minor character or event can come to be recognised as hugely significant indications of a future twist. Or you can be more direct with a prologue or flash forward. Daphne Du Maurier uses foreshadowing in the most direct way in the famous opening lines of Rebecca. She does the same kind of thing at the start of My Cousin Rachel with, ‘They used to hang men at Four Turnings in the old days. Not any more though.’


Confound expectations. If you’ve set up a situation where readers are likely to assume certain outcomes: boy meets girl, for instance, or police officer arrives at the scene of a murder, the twist can come when these characters behave in surprising ways that overturn the conventions. In Dickens’ Great Expectations a rich woman takes an interest in the young hero. When he is left enough money to become a gentleman the identity of his benefactor seems obvious. But Dickens fools us, while at the same time ensuring we have all the clues to work out the truth.

Twists can come at any point in the narrative. And they can be very effective midway through a story not least because we’re not primed to expect them at this point. Gillian Flynn knocks us off balance so well in Gone Girl partly because of when her big reveal occurs. As does Hitchcock in the movie, Psycho. An early twist can also lead on to multiple convolutions and has the added advantage that it allows the story to continue and reveal the twist’s consequences.

Misdirect readers. While foreshadowing helps the writer to play fair with readers it’s important to keep them from guessing the twist too soon. Unreliable narrators or misleading POV characters can help with misdirection. Agatha Christie is famous for her untruthful narrators in books like The Murder of Roger Ackroyd and Endless Night. Henry James makes brilliant use of an unreliable narrator in Turn of the Screw. Unreliable POV characters are not necessarily liars, or amnesiacs like Christine in Before I Go To Sleep. They may have been deceived themselves or misread a situation. They could be very young, naïve or blinded by love or prejudice. If you use several narrators, as Wilkie Collins does in The Woman in White and The Moonstone, you have the opportunity to show a variety of possible truths.

Be flexible even if you like to start with a carefully planned plot and a detailed outline. As the story comes to life situations or characters may suggest twists or surprising developments that can add depth to the narrative or offer a better way to reach the resolution. At this point you may need to go back and add in some foreshadowing or misdirection.

Exercise

Add a twist to the Cinderella story. Confound expectations by having the prince fall for one of the ugly sisters either temporarily or permanently. How many possible scenarios does this suggest? How will you alter the characters or events to make it believable?

Experiment with the twist occurring at different points in the story. How does it change the narrative if it happens early on, in the middle or close to the end?

Now add another twist. The sister rejects the prince. Why? What happens next? How are the other characters affected?

And how would the story change if instead of the omniscient story-teller you turned one of the characters into your narrator? A narrator who could of course be unreliable.

Try something similar with other fairy stories.



Chris Curran is the author of Mindsight, Her Turn To Cry, and Her Deadly Secret, all published by Harper Collins Killer Reads. Chris was born in London but now lives in St Leonards-on-Sea near Hastings, on the south coast of England, in a house groaning with books. She left school at sixteen to work in the local library – her dream job then and now – and spent an idyllic few months reading her way around the shelves. Reluctantly returning to full-time education she gained her degree from Sussex University. Since then she has worked as an actress, script writer, copy editor and teacher, all the time looking forward to the day when she would see her own books gracing those library shelves.

https://chriscurranauthor.com/
Facebook author page

Or follow me on twitter @Christi_Curran



33 comments:

  1. Hello everyone am here to give a testimony of how Dr. Bright  herbal mixture saved my husband and I from shame and disgrace.
    My husband and I were married for 5 years and no issue it was a really problem for me so a friend of mine told me about how Dr. Bright herbal mixture saved their marriage so I contacted him on his what's app number (+234951692560) and he got back to me so I told him everything that is going on.  And he told me not to worry about anything, so he told me what to do and after i bought his products he told my husbands to use it for just one week and so we obeyed his instructions after using the product my husbands penis increased from 4 inches to 9 inches
    I am happy to say i am now 3 mounts  pregnant and the weak erection problem stopped, me and my husband are now doing just fine, no more troubles. So I tell feel free to contact Dr. Bright  on his email (Doctorbright22@gmail.com) or what's app him on (+2349051692560)
    Thank you sir you indeed saved my marriage  

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing a plot and book reviews has never been this easier though. I was trying to formulate the 8 week long program for my law associated degree project. I was left with no other option than hiring law assignment writing help UK.

      Delete
  2. This is a good article indeed. I hope this one is also beneficial to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Post! It helps me to know about Nepal Tour Package. It gives a lot of information to book the best Nepal tour packages
    IP Webcam App

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing such a nice piece of information to us. This is very knowledgeable for me. I am an assignment expert and I am offering online Assignment Help to students

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing such a nice piece of information to us. This is very knowledgeable for me. I am an assignment expert and I am offering Nursing Assignment Help to students

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clara Smith is a reputed English language teacher from a renowned high school in Oregon. She receives many college essay writing requests from students and guides everyone accordingly. Connect with him via AllEssayWriter.com, the best place to buy authentic essay writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just got my ex husband back through the help of Dr OSOFO love spells Experts!..My husband left me for another woman, This was just 2 years of our marriage. The most painful thing is that I was pregnant with our second baby. I wanted him back. I did everything within my reach to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so badly because of the love I had for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to my friend and she suggested that I should rather contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back , I had no choice than to try it. I messaged the spell caster call Dr OSOFO and he assured me there was no problem and that everything will be okay before 11 hours. He cast the spell and surprisingly 9 hours later my husband called me. I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that had happened He wanted me to return to him. He also said he loved me so much. I was so happy andent to him that was how we started living together happily again.thanks to man, do not cry anymore, contact Dr.OSOFO for help now..Here his contact, WhatsApp him: +2349065749952 {or} Email him at: ( osofo.48hoursolutioncenter@gmail.com )  

    ReplyDelete
  8. My ex-husband and I had always managed to stay friendly after our divorce in February 2017. But I always wanted to get back together with him, All it took was a visit to this spell casters website last December, because my dream was to start a new year with my husband, and live happily with him.. This spell caster requested a specific love spell for me and my husband, and I accepted it. And this powerful spell caster began to work his magic. And 48 hours after this spell caster worked for me, my husband called me back for us to be together again, and he was remorseful for all his wrong deeds. My spell is working because guess what: My “husband” is back and we are making preparations on how to go to court and withdraw our divorce papers ASAP. This is nothing short of a miracle. Thank you Dr Emu for your powerful spells. Words are not enough. here is his Email: emutemple@gmail.com or call/text him on his WhatsApp +2347012841542

    He is also able to cast spell like 1: Lottery 2: Conceive 3: Breakup 4: Divorce 5: Cure for all kinds of diseases and viruses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clara smith is one of the most recognizable experts at EssayGator.com who has received a remarkable extent from the popular University of Australia. Such personality is much flexible to deal with the people of any cultural backgrounds and attitudes. For more than a decade, this professor is providing intensive
    Essay Help and
    Accounting Assignment Help support to the students.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quoting a text does not allow students to violate the grammar and punctuation rules. So, if you are citing something from an already published source of information, make sure the punctuations are in place. If the quoted words end with a full stop (or comma), the punctuation goes inside the quotation marks, and if the quoted words do not end with punctuation, then the full stop goes outside the quotation marks.

    These are simple ways to add indirect quotes in the assignment and not detect plagiarism charges. Students can always ask essay help’ if they find the task of citing intimidating. The experts will cite sensitive citations like quotations with expertise.

    Hope this helps! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. 

    ReplyDelete
  12. Arrangements getting ready in India incorporates various segments, for instance, e-learning courses of action, online classes, and propagations that grant the business laborers to be more insightful. It tells individuals the best way to affect customers and straightforward their vision. Here are some additional inspirations to have a Buy Assignments, decent arrangements getting ready solution for your business to flourish:

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been reading your article. our site

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for this article! It is interesting to read. toilet repair

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is exactly what I was looking for. roofing contractor

    ReplyDelete
  16. A dedicated homework help provider will provide your homework on time. So you can submit your work before the deadline. It is advised for students that they get the homework done a little before time so that they can go through them.

    https://www.lagunahillsfamilydentistry.net/forum/general-discussions/how-to-get-help-online-for-completing-homework

    ReplyDelete
  17. monthly seo reports You must also include the source section of the traffic report. It will provide specific techniques about where the incoming traffic is landing on your website, helps you to conclude where you actively spend your time and money.

    ReplyDelete
  18. world of ethical hacking Are you one of them who are addicted to SoulCycle? Fanatical about kickboxing? Crazy about running? Then this blog is the perfect spot for you, we will disclose that what your workout is saying about your personality.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Risk Assessment Services SecurityX host exclusive and brilliant Risk Assessment services to clear your path from threats and hackers that crosses your way.

    ReplyDelete
  20. shopify app development At Shopifyninja, we have proactive developers for both web and Shopify App Development Services.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Tracking time is like a budget for money so when you use a time tracking software it allows you to keep a track on time by making sure you are productive all day time tracking app

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for furnishing us with such helpful details. I admire it. However, I would like to guide My Assignment Services, the best assignment help company, to any student having tribulation with their Thesis writing help . A thesis is a lengthy piece of writing that consists entirely of your own ideas and research and is submitted as part of a university degree, such as a higher degree (PhDs). for more info visit our website: https://www.myassignmentservices.ca/thesis-writing-help.html

    ReplyDelete