Saturday 23 January 2016

60 Seconds with Shani Struthers

Hello, Shani, tell us a little about you and your writing.

Hi! I’ve been a copywriter for twenty years, writing mainly for the travel industry and then started writing novels three years ago. I started off in romance but moved to the dark side with my second book and have stayed there.

What’s the best thing about being a writer?

The writing – I love it when I’ve got a book on the go, although plot points can sometimes make your brain ache. Even so, when you down tools for the day and you’ve got another 4-5,000 words under your belt, it’s the best feeling ever.

And the worst?

The promotional side – nowadays an author cannot just write, she has to sell her novels too. Having said it’s the worst, however, I have an Author Page on Facebook and it’s there I interact mainly with readers, so that bit is fab! 

Do you have a special writing place?

My office is in my house – it’s the room nearest to the kitchen so I can keep fuelling myself with tea and coffee. Yeah, I love it; it’s very special to me!


Why do you write paranormal novels?

As I mentioned above I started off writing romance but the paranormal has always been my big love. I’ve grown up with a mother who held a deep interest in the spiritual world and who even dabbled a little (in a good way!) and that interest carries on in me. She’s a very knowledgeable woman and has taught me a lot.

Which writers do you most admire and why?

I admire anyone who has the discipline to sit down and write a book – it’s not easy! Big name authors include Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Catherine Cookson, Charles Dickens, the Bronte sisters – an eclectic mix I know. But I also like to support the Indie author – the lesser sung in the publishing world are putting some gems out there, including Jan Ruth, Sarah England, Yasmin Selena Butt and Linda Gillard. There are really too many of them to mention.

Which three books would you take to your desert island?

Easy! Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley.

If you could give three top tips to a newbie writer, what would they be?

Write from the heart – always. Grow a thick skin – you’re going to need it. Be willing to learn your craft – there is always room for improvement.

What are your future writing plans?

Psychic Surveys Book Three: 44 Gilmore Street is currently with test readers and will hopefully be published in Spring 2016. Then it’s onto Psychic Surveys Book Four and after that a novella. I’m really interested in novella writing; it’s a medium that lends itself well to the ghost story I think.


Facebook Author Page: http://tinyurl.com/p9yggq9

Twitter: https://twitter.com/shani_struthers

Blog: http://shanisite.wordpress.com

Goodreads http://tinyurl.com/mq25mav


1 comment: