Thursday 19 February 2015

Flight Path by Mandy Huggins

Words with JAM BIGGER Short Story Competition 2014
1st PRIZE WINNER (250 word category)

Beyond the pier I watch two men as they repaint the end wall of the new apartment block a startling orange.

‘It’s the geese,’  explains a voice behind me. ‘The block has been built in their established flight path. On a dull day, or in the half-light of dusk, the geese think the grey wall is sky, and they fly into it.’

I know that it’s you without turning round.

I have replayed that winter evening a hundred times. A goose had landed on the bridge, stunned after clipping a streetlight. As the skein flew on down the river, it staggered, bewildered, caged in by railings and relentless traffic. It had no runway.

You walked towards me and our eyes met. Without a word you took off your coat and threw it over the bird. We lifted it swiftly to the top of the railing, held it steady for only a moment, and then stood back. As it took off, its wings and underbelly were up-lit by the street lamps, aglimmer against the darkening sky. We smiled, suddenly a little awkward, and mumbled a few words before walking on.

Our flight paths momentarily crossed, our wing tips almost touched, but we did not collide. And since then I have thought of you often; my bird man. I have carried your voice in my head.

And when I turn I can see you have thought about me too. This time we will collide; even if to crash and burn.

5 comments:

  1. Great Flash piece! Very atmospheric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All Assignment Help is provided to American students. It is the world's trusted company. We will give you very good assignment services. My Homework Done

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have performed a great job on this article. It's very precise and highly qualitative. You've managed to make it readable and easy to read. You have some real writing talent. Thank you so much.
    good research paper topics
    microsoft target market
    microsoft strategy
    microsoft marketing
    harley davidson case study
    harley davidson history

    ReplyDelete